Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Unity

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Unity
On Fri, 2012-11-09 at 11:48 +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 08/11/12 22:37, Gordon Scott wrote:
> > For her also, menus on the screen top-bar were so counter-intuitive that
> > she thought they'd been removed.
> >

> Are you aware of the HUD? You press alt then search the menu rather than
> peck through them with the mouse?

I was, but as I reported a while back, it kept opening menu bars for the
wrong application, possibly related to my focus-follows-mouse setup.

Probably my wife was not and she always uses the mouse anyway. She does
mouse and typing .. all special keys are alien.

I do agree with and generally prefer keyboard access than mouse (I hate
mice as they cause so much stress on and bruising of the wrist, when
used a lot). My personal editor of choice is vi/vim for the no-mouse
reason amongst others (other people's opinions will differ, of course!).

One of the difficulties with menus is that they differ so much between
applications and across platforms, that remembering more than a modest
number of short-cuts is quite impossible, so we become conditioned to
going for the mouse/trackball/whatever. I've been being conditioned
since DR-GEM, so Pavlov's dog looks like an rank amateur. :-)

Gordon.