Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Unity

Author: Alan Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Unity
On 09/11/12 12:14, Gordon Scott wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-11-09 at 11:48 +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
>> On 08/11/12 22:37, Gordon Scott wrote:
>>> For her also, menus on the screen top-bar were so counter-intuitive that
>>> she thought they'd been removed.
>>>

>> Are you aware of the HUD? You press alt then search the menu rather than
>> peck through them with the mouse?
>
> I was, but as I reported a while back, it kept opening menu bars for the
> wrong application, possibly related to my focus-follows-mouse setup.

I miss focus follows mouse, but not so much that I'd enable it on Unity :)

> I do agree with and generally prefer keyboard access than mouse (I hate
> mice as they cause so much stress on and bruising of the wrist, when
> used a lot). My personal editor of choice is vi/vim for the no-mouse
> reason amongst others (other people's opinions will differ, of course!).

I have switched to a Lenovo Thinkpad keyboard with built in touchpoint
(nipple thing). So my hands never stray from the keyboard :) I am
tempted to get another one for my desktop PC and just use a 'real' mouse
when playing the odd game.

> One of the difficulties with menus is that they differ so much between
> applications and across platforms, that remembering more than a modest
> number of short-cuts is quite impossible, so we become conditioned to
> going for the mouse/trackball/whatever. I've been being conditioned
> since DR-GEM, so Pavlov's dog looks like an rank amateur. :-)

Since having Unity+HUD I have been conditioning myself to bring up the
HUD and search for stuff in menus. It's taken a while and I still
sometimes revert back, but it's worthwhile in the end.

Cheers
--
Alan Pope
Engineering Manager