Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Unity

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Unity
On Fri, 2012-11-09 at 13:04 +0000, Alan Pope wrote:

> I miss focus follows mouse, but not so much that I'd enable it on Unity :)

I use it fairly extensively and hate being without it .. on Windows, for
example.

> I have switched to a Lenovo Thinkpad keyboard with built in touchpoint
> (nipple thing). So my hands never stray from the keyboard :) I am
> tempted to get another one for my desktop PC and just use a 'real' mouse
> when playing the odd game.

Those touchpoint things seem quite good for normal mouse work, any idea
if they're really workable for heavier graphics stuff, specifically
PCB-CAD, which is the time I have to use it most, though some large
cut-and-paste tasks can be as bad. (I'm _not_ doing freehand drawing.)

I hadn't realised one could buy just the keyboard, I'd only noticed them
on laptops and a laptop is totally unworkable in my normal context.

Does that long 'nose' where a touchpad would normally be give any
usability issues?

> > One of the difficulties with menus is that they differ so much between
> > applications and across platforms, that remembering more than a modest
> > number of short-cuts is quite impossible, so we become conditioned to
> > going for the mouse/trackball/whatever. I've been being conditioned
> > since DR-GEM, so Pavlov's dog looks like an rank amateur. :-)
> >

> Since having Unity+HUD I have been conditioning myself to bring up the
> HUD and search for stuff in menus. It's taken a while and I still
> sometimes revert back, but it's worthwhile in the end.

Unfortunately I have to work in both Linux and Windows (correction, I
choose to work in Linux, unfortunately I also have to work in Windows),
and I haven't dared update the real workstation to 11.04 due to the
presence of Unity and other changes. I've updated only the PC in the
lounge, so 98% of the time the HUD isn't available. In the remaining 2%,
I just don't adapt enough and, as you're aware, get seriously
frustrated.

It's the automatic stuff that gets you. Like when driving a hire car on
the continent .. I'm happy enough on the right-hand side of the road,
fine with the funny mirror locations, OK with priortie a droit, fine
with back-to-front roundabouts and so on.

But I keep hitting my hand on the door whenever I try to change gear.

Gordon.