Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Unity

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Unity
On Friday 09 Nov 2012 14:30:41 Gordon Scott wrote:
> Those touchpoint things seem quite good for normal mouse work, any idea
> if they're really workable for heavier graphics stuff, specifically
> PCB-CAD, which is the time I have to use it most, though some large
> cut-and-paste tasks can be as bad. (I'm _not_ doing freehand drawing.)

I do quite a bit of CAD now and again (usually part "free-hand" i.e. not using
grid or object snapping), and I'm not aware of anything that beats the mouse
for precision and speed. I have a touchpad on the laptop, and while it's a
good one, it just doesn't compare. I've never had any luck with the
touchpoints either. CAD packages are unusually mouse-heavy, but also require
typing a fair few commands, so keeping the keyboard area clear is important.

Tim B.

--
Hampshire Linux User Group Chairman