Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Unity

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Unity
On Fri, 2012-11-09 at 18:20 +0000, Tim Brocklehurst wrote:
> On Friday 09 Nov 2012 14:30:41 Gordon Scott wrote:
> > Those touchpoint things seem quite good for normal mouse work, any idea
> > if they're really workable for heavier graphics stuff, specifically
> > PCB-CAD, which is the time I have to use it most, though some large
> > cut-and-paste tasks can be as bad. (I'm _not_ doing freehand drawing.)
>
> I do quite a bit of CAD now and again (usually part "free-hand" i.e. not using
> grid or object snapping), and I'm not aware of anything that beats the mouse
> for precision and speed.

I have both a mouse and a trackball and swap over when the pain get too
much. At least the strains and bruises happen somewhere slightly
different.

But cf my comments elsewhere about gears and clutches :-)
A similar problem, except a rear-end shunt is less likely.

> I have a touchpad on the laptop, and while it's a
> good one, it just doesn't compare. I've never had any luck with the
> touchpoints either.

Yes, that's as I suspected. Good for occasional moves around, but
probably slow as you're relying on pressure/acceleration rather than
direct movement.

I keep meaning to try a pen+tablet arrangement, but haven't yet done so.
Memo to self......

> CAD packages are unusually mouse-heavy, but also require
> typing a fair few commands, so keeping the keyboard area clear is important.

Indeed.

Gordon.