[Hampshire] Audio collection to mp3

Author: Edward Beckmann
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Audio collection to mp3
All

I admit I'm asking for an answer before trying to write one myself, mainly
because I use scripts so rarely that between times I forget how to write
them! So please forgive my apparent laziness.

My music collection on the PC (all my purchased CDs) is of the highest
quality available - some CDs were flac, others wav or mp3. That's fine when
I am sat at the PC, but I want to create mp3 copies of the whole collection
to put onto portable devices (currently just my android phone). Question -
does anyone have a script to take a whole tree of files (artist / album /
tracks) and convert them to a similar tree structure of just mp3 files?

I'm not over-anxious about synchronising playlists right now, but it would
be handy to be able to run the routine periodically to pick up any CDs I
have burned to the main library and add them to the mp3 'portable library'.
I'm happy that if a source is only in mp3, another mp3 copy is made to the
'portable library'. There will be spaces and all manner of characters in
the filenames, since they were just processed using xfburn.

Thanks ever so

Ed