Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu 12.04 Server Issue

Author: Daniel Llewellyn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu 12.04 Server Issue [SOLVED]
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu 12.04 Server Issue
On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Alan Pope <alan.pope@???> wrote:
> On 17/10/12 13:02, Sean Gibbins wrote:
>>
>> Failing that I am happy to bung Debian on there, but before I do
>> anything I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on this.
>>

> Did you install off a USB stick? I have seen an error where the installer
> tried to put the grub bootloader on the USB stick. So it would only boot
> with the USB stick inserted, and would fail to boot if it wasn't.
>
> Maybe double check the screen where you specify where the boot loader goes,
> and make sure it's going to the right disk?

I've seen exactly this issue and my research lead me to this page:
http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/bios.html. The problem is related to
the values assigned to the GPT partition table by gdisk which are
incompatible with the BIOS (In my case, and another by a different
user) Phoenix AwardBIOS 6.00PG. The linked page suggests 6.00G was
incompatible in his case, so I'm guessing the entire 6.00 series of
AwardBIOS is incompatible with stock gdisk. The solution is to run
gdisk again before you reboot to "recompute CHS Values" - it's an
option in the menu somewhere in the CLI gdisk.

--
Regards,
    The Honeymonster Daniel Llewellyn