Re: [Hampshire] Deciding SNMP MIB files in Linux

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Deciding SNMP MIB files in Linux
On 13/09/12 09:56, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>>> Mibs are hierarchical so all the files should link to the first one.
>>> Think
>>> of them as leaves on a tree.
>>>

> You might be missing all the RFC mibs. Think of these as the trunk of
> the tree, and without them you cannot put any leaves on it.

snmptranslate did pop some errors to stderr about not being able to find
SNMPv2-SMI.mib and SNMPv2-TC.mib. I found dumps of those on a random
website and the output is better but there are still a couple of errors
(missing brackets and "can't adopt" errors mainly) but I can't see
anything obviously broken with the files. Where would be the "proper"
place to get real copies of all the RFC MIBs please?

>> one of the devices is called an "RX1290" so I'm guessing then that the file in the package called "rx1290.mib" (or maybe the one called "base.mib") might be a good place to start.
>>
>> I'm not finding the snmptranslate man page very easy going. it looks like I need to find out how to indicate to it which file is the first I want it to parse.
>>
> You should normally just be able to give the tool the directory name
> where all the mibs are. It should then compile them, and work out
> which leaf goes where, so long as the trunk (rfc mibs) are there.
> For example, this is what wireshark does so that it can decode snmp
> packet captures.

The files are (usefully) named after which functional category of the
device's control they describe. All the OIDs listed by snmptranslate
seem to be relevant to the category described by the first file in the
directory. I'm guessing I'm either not using snmptranslate right or that
one of these errors is causing it to abort and not go on to the rest of
the files.

Thanks,
Paul.