Re: [Hampshire] Deciding SNMP MIB files in Linux

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Deciding SNMP MIB files in Linux

James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton@???> wrote:

>I think it would be easier if you posted a tar file of all the mib files somewhere.

Unfortunately, these files were obtained from the device manufacturer under my customer's service agreement. I will check but I believe they are redistribution-restricted.

>Mibs are hierarchical so all the files should link to the first one.
>Think
>of them as leaves on a tree.

one of the devices is called an "RX1290" so I'm guessing then that the file in the package called "rx1290.mib" (or maybe the one called "base.mib") might be a good place to start.

I'm not finding the snmptranslate man page very easy going. it looks like I need to find out how to indicate to it which file is the first I want it to parse.

Thanks,
Paul.