Re: [Hampshire] Deciding SNMP MIB files in Linux

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Deciding SNMP MIB files in Linux
On 13 September 2012 08:23, Paul Stimpson <paul@???> wrote:

> James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton@???> wrote:
>

>>I think it would be easier if you posted a tar file of all the mib files somewhere.
>
> Unfortunately, these files were obtained from the device manufacturer under my customer's service agreement. I will check but I believe they are redistribution-restricted.

Well, I can't really help much then.
SNMP is quite a complex set of standards, and without seeing the .mib
files, it is difficult to see what is missing.

>>Mibs are hierarchical so all the files should link to the first one.
>>Think
>>of them as leaves on a tree.

You might be missing all the RFC mibs. Think of these as the trunk of
the tree, and without them you cannot put any leaves on it.

> one of the devices is called an "RX1290" so I'm guessing then that the file in the package called "rx1290.mib" (or maybe the one called "base.mib") might be a good place to start.
>
> I'm not finding the snmptranslate man page very easy going. it looks like I need to find out how to indicate to it which file is the first I want it to parse.

You should normally just be able to give the tool the directory name
where all the mibs are. It should then compile them, and work out
which leaf goes where, so long as the trunk (rfc mibs) are there.
For example, this is what wireshark does so that it can decode snmp
packet captures.

Kind Regards

James