Re: [Hampshire] Deciding SNMP MIB files in Linux

Author: Stephen Davies
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Deciding SNMP MIB files in Linux
Ah, someone facing the same issues as I am. SNMP is as far as I'm
concerned a dogs breakfast. If you have multiple Mibs in a file just
watchout as the MIB standard allows you to put the trap definitions
anywhere in the mib (AFAIK). Thus you could have no idea about what
traps relate to what MIB.
Some devices don't emit traps. You have to Poll them and that opens up
another huge can of worms.

After a few days of banging my head against the QAIA Airport brick wall,
I gave up trying to decipher some of the Mibs and traps using Linux and
have installed a trial version of TrapVision on a Windows machine. Now I
can see a lot of what is supposed to happen. You can also use it to
generate traps that can be sent into your Linux system for processing.

I'd rather be interpreting IATA Type-B messages any day.

Stephen Davies