Re: [Hampshire] Backups with Amazon Glacier

Author: Benjie Gillam
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Backups with Amazon Glacier
I would like to know the same. Personally I use s3cmd to sync my photos to s3. Amazon have said that they will be adding s3 <--> glacier support soon so you could use s3 for a full current revision and glacier for point in time backups. This'd be very expensive though with s3 costing 12.5 times glacier. Slightly cheaper is the reduced redundancy store, bit still...

My current plan is to just do a few big tar files of various subjects (Documents/Photos/Development/etc), encrypt and upload once a month. In between times could use tar's incremental features, though I have no experience with them.

http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_node/Incremental-Dumps.html

--
Sent from my iPhone, so please forgive spelling/brevity.

www.BenjieGillam.com
Founder: FitFu.com, GymFu.com

Brain Bakery Ltd. and GymFu Ltd have registered address: 7 Duck Island Lane BH24 3AA. Registered in England and Wales, Company Numbers: 5849251 and 7022440 respectively