[Hampshire] Backups with Amazon Glacier

Author: Anton Piatek
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Backups with Amazon Glacier
Has anyone had a good look at Glacier? http://aws.amazon.com/glacier/
At $0.011 per GB/month to store data, and quite low transfer fees, it looks
like a great way to backup large volumes such as all my raw digital photos.

What I am not clear on is whether it is geared to backing up 15k files, or
if I need to work out some form of archive of them. If I need to build up a
small number of large archives, is there good software available to help me
track what has already been archived and uploaded, and what is new/changed
and therefore needs to be built into a new archive. Given the pricing,
actual diffs probably arent that worthwhile so long as I can get it all
back again in the end.

Anton

-
Anton Piatek
email: anton@???
blog/photos: http://www.strangeparty.com
gpg: [74B1FA37] (http:// www.strangeparty.com/anton.asc)

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a
significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.