Re: [Hampshire] Backups with Amazon Glacier

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Backups with Amazon Glacier
On Friday 24 Aug 2012 18:12:02 Benjie Gillam wrote:
> My current plan is to just do a few big tar files of various subjects
> (Documents/Photos/Development/etc), encrypt and upload once a month. In
> between times could use tar's incremental features, though I have no
> experience with them.

TAR and encryption sound like a good plan. For incremental backups you might
want to keep a list (or database, or whatever) of files and md5sums, then write
a script to compare and backup the ones that have changed (perhaps checking on
timestamps too to make things quicker).

I have no experience with Glacier, but whether it's preferable to do lots of
small uploads will depend on how robust your connection is and how thier
pricing works.

Hope this helps,

Tim B.