Re: [Hampshire] Backups with Amazon Glacier

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Backups with Amazon Glacier
On Friday 24 August 2012 20:29:01 Tim Brocklehurst wrote:
> On Friday 24 Aug 2012 18:12:02 Benjie Gillam wrote:
> > My current plan is to just do a few big tar files of various subjects
> > (Documents/Photos/Development/etc), encrypt and upload once a month. In
> > between times could use tar's incremental features, though I have no
> > experience with them.

I do a system backup like this once a week with S3. Documents (such as
PDFs/eBooks I've downloaded, which I don't care about encrypting) get S3
rsync'd every few hours.

I did a talk on this early last year at Surrey LUG, so it's a bit out
of date now:

https://docs.google.com/present/edit?id=0AbZoSnTywR59ZGdxNDdmeDhfOWNxeHozeGYy

> TAR and encryption sound like a good plan. For incremental backups you
> might want to keep a list (or database, or whatever) of files and md5sums,
> then write a script to compare and backup the ones that have changed
> (perhaps checking on timestamps too to make things quicker).
>
> I have no experience with Glacier, but whether it's preferable to do lots
> of small uploads will depend on how robust your connection is and how
> thier pricing works.

The problem with Glacier is there's a really big delay before getting
access to the files again. I may not want to download data often, but
when I do, I'd like to be able to do a restore right now.

Currently S3 is costing me a few dollars a month for system backups
(it could be a lot less, if I could be bothered to tidy up old backups),
and Google is costing $20/year for 80GB of photo backups in Picasa.

That's well within what I'm happy to pay, so I don't feel a need to
switch to Glacier, except for use as possibly a secondary backup of
music, video and photos.

--
Be seeing you,        Games: http://www.glendale.org.uk/
Sam.                  Posts: http://www.google.com/profiles/samuel.penn