Re: [Hampshire] [OT] BT Vision and two routers

Author: Keith Edmunds
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] BT Vision and two routers
On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 09:53:42 +0100, adam.trickett@??? said:

> I think your basic problem is that you can't have two DHCP servers
> or routers on the same subnet at the same time.

On the contrary, one can easily have two DHCP servers or routers on the
same subnet at the same time.

It is advisable for the two DHCP servers to be allocated non-conflicting
_ranges_, but they can be in the same subnet. With most DHCP servers, it
isn't even necessary to have non-conflicting ranges as the DHCP will check
the network for the presence of the proposed address before offering it,
but I wouldn't bet that the DHCP server in embedded devices does that.

Two routers will often be used, although there should be only one default
gateway.
--
We're looking for smart Linux people:
http://www.tiger-computing.co.uk/jobs