Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Universal Car Chargers

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Universal Car Chargers
Hi,

Sean Gibbins <sean@???> wrote:

>Any thoughts on this or other similar devices?

For me, it's the loss of the mobile devices that have the greatest impact on my day (My phone does a credible job at web browsing and email so I can generally wait until I can find Mains to charge the laptop)

I have USB charging cables for all my mobile devices so I went with this:

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/accessories/chargers-connect-cables/high-speed-multi-charger-9UUC.001.04/

It gives a 1.2A USB, a 2.1A USB and a 25W 12V pass through so you can plug another cigar lighter cable in if needed.

It's well built but a bit pricey however if you search the net there's a Tomtom welcome voucher code which each new customer can use once that gets it down to about £12.50. The code is "welcome" and 3 consecutive digits. I think it was welcome456, welcome567 or welcome678.

If you're playing around with inverters or other heavy cigar lighter loads, I would recommend you locate the fuse in the fuse box at your leisure before you leave home and make sure you have a couple of spares in the glove compartment.

One other point with inverters, they are not all created equal. The output can be a square wave, a "modified sine wave" (a stepped ramp) or a real sine wave. Cheaper inverters trend to be the former two. If it doesn't say it's a true sine wave inverter, I assume it isn't. The power supplies for some of our gear at work get really bent out of shape if they don't get a real sine wave. Like my Dell PSU won't run off a cheap inverter. I haven't seen it myself but I believe, in our early days testing inverters, we have had some switched mode PSUs damaged by cheap inverters but not recently so things may have changed. You could be lucky but I wouldn't use anything other than a "proper" sine wave inverter to run any switched mode PSU.

Cheers,
Paul.