Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Universal Car Chargers

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Universal Car Chargers
On 8 August 2012 07:54, James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton@???> wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2012 9:35 PM, "Vic" <lug@???> wrote:
>>

>> > Has anyone got any experience of this sort of thing:
>> >
>> > http://tinyurl.com/bvo9knr
>>
>> I use something similar.
>>
>> 150W isn't a huge amount for running stuff, but should be fine for
>> charging.
>>
>> Depending on how long you've got until you go, you can also get
>> "universal" laptop power supplies that run from a 12V socket (I'm using
>> one right now, but from the mains). But they come from China, so they take
>> a few days.
>>
> The 12v laptop power is also more efficient. Fewer power conversion steps.
> Also 12v car to usb 5v are good for.charging mobile phones, or raspberry pi!
> you need to be careful with the converters to 240v AC, because they might be
> for only certain types of load. E.g. Lightening and not motors and not
> pumps.

I seem to have been misunderstood here.
Option A:
12V Car -> 240V AC -> Standard Mains Laptop power brick -> Laptop.
Option B:
12V Car -> Laptop power brick (A special 12V input one) -> Laptop

I was saying that Option B is more efficient.

I think I also meant "Lighting" instead of "Lightening" above.

Kind Regards

James