Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Universal Car Chargers

Author: cjl
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Universal Car Chargers
Quoting Sean Gibbins <sean@???>:

> Hi Folks,
>
> We're off camping to France and my family is breaking into a cold sweat
> at the prospect of their gadgets running out of power.
>
> Has anyone got any experience of this sort of thing:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/bvo9knr
>
> It looks like it is suitable for the netbooks and also anything that
> charges from USB (iPods etc.), but I have never used one before and
> note that there are no reviews.
>
> Any thoughts on this or other similar devices?

I've got a very similar inverter to the one linked above, that I've
had for about five years. Mine's more powerful (500w constant, 1000w
momentary), but doesn't have the USB port.

I've used for a variety of things, but mainly for powering a laptop I
used for tuning the the car. Never had a problem - the fans can be
quite noisy, though.

Two things: do check the load your gadgets will put on it - I've seen
laptop PSUs pushing over a 100 watts these days. Also, powering it
with cigarette lighter plug, usually you can't get the full wattage.
For the full wattage, you have to use the battery clamps.

Chris