Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10…

Author: Alan Pope
To: l.kobiernicki
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10.04.x
On 01/07/12 02:48, Leszek Kobiernicki 1 wrote:
> I understand Canonical's committed to Unity, but I still don't hafta
> like its seizure of control over the old menu-driven experience

Sure, there's bits of Unity that I don't like either :)

What's worth noting is that it's not finished. We have a design team who
have come up with plans for Unity, but only a small amount of the work
gets done in each 6 month cycle.

We're hiring all the time and frequently hire community contributors
onto staff. In fact in some ways people think the community around
Ubuntu is shrinking, that's partly because we hire all the decent
community contributors! :D

> Didn't mean to imply you're a dummy: what I meant, was, that the
> experience of Unity, gives me the impression, that I'm being turned into
> one !

Yeah, I got that, my reply was a bit tongue in cheek :)

Thing is I hear this "dumbing down" thing a lot, and then I look around
at the Ubuntu Developer Summit at the incredibly clever people who use
Unity every day. One of our guys - Jorge Castro - made a video showing
how he multi-tasks on Unity.

http://blip.tv/jorge-castro/how-i-multitask-in-unity-5015448

It's a little old now, based on an older release of Unity, but worth a
watch to see how a "power user" uses Unity.

> Oh - by the way, Ubuntu 12.04's installed on a Mac, so - no Windows key.

Yeah it does, it's just called something else. It's the one next to the
spacebar, The "apple" or "cloverleaf" key.

Cheers,
--
Alan Pope
Engineering Manager