Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10…

Author: pavithran
To: alan.pope, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10.04.x
On 30 June 2012 16:07, Alan Pope <alan.pope@???> wrote:
> You could try other derivatives like Linux Mint with Cinnamon or Mate, but I
> would question the sustainability of those desktops.

Almost the same issue here when I was roaming around desktops and
landed on Ubuntu 12.04 with unity . Yes its hardly usable, the whole
copy cat behaviour of unity (from mac) is driving people crazy .
First it was things on left , next the entire menu goes out of the
window . Though I dont mind designing for the mobile/handhelds I feel
this is just not for me .

If you still want to use the default unity , you can try out a nice
guide on unity by Vancouver ubuntu
http://frenchfortunecookie.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/unity-5-10-0-final-pdf.pdf

The above guide though was helpful didn't convince me to use unity on
ubuntu :) I have been using Cinnamon desktop from the linux mint team
and I am not going back to unity . I agree that the support on
cinnamon is a question but as long as the linux mint thrives there
would be cinnamon :)

Review on Cinnamon : Just loved it :) I tried out Gnome3 on debian and
I liked it . Coming back to ubuntu the simplest way to get a usable
desktop was to install Cinnamon .

I just added the PPA at
https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan-dev/+archive/cinnamon-stable
and sudo apt-get install cinnamon was how I got back the control of my
desktop . It took few minutes to discover cinnamon . There was this
Cinnamon Settings with which you can get themes and other extensions
which can be downloaded from http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/

Happy to see a downstream project like linuxmint helping out upstream
:) Well there are also plans to bring it more up aka into the debian
archives !

Regards,
Pavithran

--