Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10…

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10.04.x
On 01/07/12 02:22, Full Circle Podcast wrote:
> Oops, almost forgot, Popey:
>

> "You could try other derivatives like Linux Mint with Cinnamon or Mate, but
>> I would question the sustainability of those desktops."
>>
> Nice plug of the corporate line,

It's not the corporate line, it's my personal opinion. As I understand
it one is a fork of a current desktop (GNOME Shell) the other is a fork
of an old abandoned desktop (GNOME 2). Neither have particularly large
development communities. They're both aimed at the refuseniks who don't
like GNOME Shell or Unity.

I don't believe the 'future' of computing is based in a
dead/unsupported desktop (GNOME 2) or a _fork_ of said dead/unsupported
desktop. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. That's just mine,
personally.

The complaints about Unity and GNOME Shell are mostly coming from the
'neckbeards'. People who are perfectly entitled to their opinion and
choice of desktop, but are actually a pretty small part of the
computer-buying market.

There's millions upon millions of people out there who have never seen
GNOME 2 or XFCE and don't have the same pre-conceptions that us nerds
do. The vast echo-chamber of the internet (including mailing lists and
twitter feeds) is not at all representative of the 'normals'.

No, Unity isn't perfect. If it's broken in places, let us know and we
will try to fix it. My team at Canonical are responsible for putting out
Unity/Compiz etc releases so I'm keen to know which bits are broken, so
we can, you know, fix them.

> I mean, who wants to get stuck on a
> proprietary desktop supported by only one commercial Linux
> vendor....oh.

Like GNOME Shell?

>> When you install KDE, LXDE, XFCE desktops, they take on a kind of Unity
>>> cut-down format ..
>>>

>> Hmm. don't suppose those project teams would take that as a compliment.
> Or an accurate comparison. Ho hum.

I didn't say that! Leszek did. Get your reply-formatting fixed please.

>> I use it on all my machines, I guess that makes me a dummy.
>>

> We couldn't possibly comment. But then again, if you're Canonical's Product
> Strategy Manager, you are kind of obliged to eat your own dog food.

I used it on all my machines long before I started working for
Canonical. Yes, it's expected that we dogfood our own products, that's
not exactly surprising, but it's easy to do when you're already running it.

I'm "just" an Engineering Manager, the head of Product Strategy is Mark
Shuttleworth.

Cheers,
--
Alan Pope