Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10…

Author: Leszek Kobiernicki 1
To: alan.pope, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10.04.x
On 01/07/12 09:58, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 01/07/12 02:22, Full Circle Podcast wrote:
>> Oops, almost forgot, Popey:
>>

>> "You could try other derivatives like Linux Mint with Cinnamon or
>> Mate, but
>>> I would question the sustainability of those desktops."
>>>
>> Nice plug of the corporate line,
>
> It's not the corporate line, it's my personal opinion. As I understand
> it one is a fork of a current desktop (GNOME Shell) the other is a
> fork of an old abandoned desktop (GNOME 2). Neither have particularly
> large development communities. They're both aimed at the refuseniks
> who don't like GNOME Shell or Unity.
>
> I don't believe the 'future' of computing is based in a
> dead/unsupported desktop (GNOME 2) or a _fork_ of said
> dead/unsupported desktop. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
> That's just mine, personally.
>
> The complaints about Unity and GNOME Shell are mostly coming from the
> 'neckbeards'. People who are perfectly entitled to their opinion and
> choice of desktop, but are actually a pretty small part of the
> computer-buying market.
>
> There's millions upon millions of people out there who have never seen
> GNOME 2 or XFCE and don't have the same pre-conceptions that us nerds
> do. The vast echo-chamber of the internet (including mailing lists and
> twitter feeds) is not at all representative of the 'normals'.
>
> No, Unity isn't perfect. If it's broken in places, let us know and we
> will try to fix it. My team at Canonical are responsible for putting
> out Unity/Compiz etc releases so I'm keen to know which bits are
> broken, so we can, you know, fix them.
>
> > I mean, who wants to get stuck on a
> > proprietary desktop supported by only one commercial Linux
> > vendor....oh.
> >

> Like GNOME Shell?
>

>>> When you install KDE, LXDE, XFCE desktops, they take on a kind of
>>> Unity
>>>>

>>> Hmm. don't suppose those project teams would take that as a
>>> compliment.
>> Or an accurate comparison. Ho hum.
>>

> I didn't say that! Leszek did. Get your reply-formatting fixed please.
>

>>> I use it on all my machines, I guess that makes me a dummy.
>>>

>> We couldn't possibly comment. But then again, if you're Canonical's
>> Product
>> Strategy Manager, you are kind of obliged to eat your own dog food.
>>

> I used it on all my machines long before I started working for
> Canonical. Yes, it's expected that we dogfood our own products, that's
> not exactly surprising, but it's easy to do when you're already
> running it.
>
> I'm "just" an Engineering Manager, the head of Product Strategy is
> Mark Shuttleworth.
>
> Cheers,

Hi Alan

Trouble is, we slightly longer users in time, are some of the key
recommenders of a distro to new entrants

If a desktop cripples established ease-of-use, forcing a completely
different operational design on us, we're not going to want to recommend
the same elevated learning curve to others

I've no special preferences ( Debian/Ubuntu/derivatives ), but simply
will hafta travel the road of max. power-user configurability so that
the real work ( whatever that may be for self, or others ), can still go
on getting done, with a minimum of heartache

If the developers can restore power-user configurability to Unity -
while still allowing new users to grasp the holding hand of a Mac-like
icon-taskbar, then that would comfortably satisfy all comers .. Even
grousers/gripers, like my current bemused self

Restoring user selection of choice of desktop at bootup, would be a
prime contribution .. ( if it's there, I don't see it )

All the best,

Lesz
--
" The power of this life, if men will open their hearts to it, will heal
them, will create them anew, physically and spiritually. Here is the
gospel of earth, ringing with hope, like May mornings with bird-song,
fresh and healthy as fields of young grain. But those who would be
healed must absorb it not only into their bodies in daily food and
warmth but into their minds, because its spiritual power is more
intense. It is not reasonable to suppose that an essence so divine and
mysterious as life can be confined to material things; therefore, if our
bodies need to be in touch with it so do our minds. The joy of a spring
day revives a man's spirit, reacting healthily on the bone and the
blood, just as the wholesome juices of plants cleanse the body, reacting
on the mind. Let us join in the abundant sacrament--for our bodies the
crushed gold of harvest and ripe vine-clusters, for our souls the purple
fruit of evening with its innumerable seed of stars ". Vis Medicatrix
Naturae, by Mary Webb, in Spring of Joy: Nature Essays, Constable,
London, 1917 "