Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10.04.x

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5758f100.hantslug.org.uk.21478': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Jul 2 17:37:15 2012 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Leszek,

Please can you trim your quotes a little? There was no need to quote
the full previous message (78 lines). It just means that everyone
has to scroll through it to reach your text which is then hard to
tell which bits (if any) you are actually replying to.

On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 12:54:08AM +0100, Leszek Kobiernicki 1 wrote:
> Trouble is, we slightly longer users in time, are some of the key
> recommenders of a distro to new entrants

I've been using Linux as my main desktop since 1995 and I have no
hesitation recommending Unity to new users. I also now use Unity
myself.

> If a desktop cripples established ease-of-use, forcing a completely
> different operational design on us, we're not going to want to recommend
> the same elevated learning curve to others

If I felt it crippled ease of use, I wouldn't be using it myself.

It is Different.

Different is not automatically wrong.

It is possible to disagree. It is okay for you (or anyone else) to
not like it.

> I've no special preferences ( Debian/Ubuntu/derivatives ), but simply
> will hafta travel the road of max. power-user configurability so that
> the real work ( whatever that may be for self, or others ), can still go
> on getting done, with a minimum of heartache

I feel I am still able to do real work (I work in IT) with the
minimum of heartache. Otherwise I am capable of using something
else.

My ways of working *have* had to change. They would have had to
change whatever the case, because my only real choices were Unity or
Gnome 3.

> Restoring user selection of choice of desktop at bootup, would be a
> prime contribution .. ( if it's there, I don't see it )

As an experienced Linux user you can install a bewildering range of
desktop environments.

It does not automatically follow that Ubuntu needs to devote
resources to supporting every single choice available to you. You
don't have to take that personally.

Cheers,
Andy