Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10…

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10.04.x
On 02/07/12 13:19, john lewis wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 12:18:10 +0100
> Leszek Kobiernicki 1 <l.kobiernicki@???> wrote:
>
>> I contend that the underlying strategic vision is flawed. It is we,
>> all the end users, who ought to be acquiring/gaining ever greater
>> empowerment, in transparency of our use of the software. It is this
>> which is the central bone of contention .. which the corps. don't seem
>> to be able to address
> I agree with this comment and so to do quite a few of the fairly wide
> spectrum of _Linux_Users_ on this list and if nothing else this
> discussion has enabled them to express their unease about current
> trends.
>
> We may not be the target audience of the current crop of developers but
> I hope our opinions will not be overlooked.

Indeed Jon.

I have kept quiet on this topic having some time ago voted with my feet
as it were, when I swapped back to Xubuntu, which I had tried before and
found just a little too unpolished.

My personal feeling is that this was an ideological change that was
thrust upon Ubuntu users, with a future vision of the desktop
effectively being decided by a few and then forced upon the many. I'd be
interested to see what the uptake would have been were people presented
with a choice on installation. I am guessing that a good number of
people would have stuck with the more familiar desktop at least until
most of the wrinkles were well and truly ironed out of Unity.

However, as others have pointed out, we are spoiled with many good
alternatives, and the shift back to Xubuntu has been great for me.
Doubtless I will keep an eye on Ubuntu and Unity and who knows, maybe
one day I'll return to the fold.

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk