Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10…

Author: Alan Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10.04.x
On 30/06/12 11:09, Leszek Kobiernicki 1 wrote:
> On 10.04.x, you can access every single app cumulatively installed, ever
> so easily

In 12.04 it's very search-oriented. Press the "Ubuntu button" then click
the second lens along (Applications Lens) or just tap the "Windows
(super) key" + A and then start typing what you're after. Way more
efficient than squirrelling through menus IMO.

So to find xchat I do this:-

Super + A, X, enter

For audacity I do:-

Super + A, au, enter

etc.

> Is there a SysAdmin's walkthrough, of how to return a Unity desktop to
> full administator's ready functionality ?

You could install gnome-session-fallback which is a bit like old GNOME
2, but not quite identical.

> Please advize, if you can. ( If not, I'll downgrade, & keep on updating
> that .. )

.. and then have the issue again in a while when those older releases
stop being updated and you have to choose a supported desktop again.

You could try other derivatives like Linux Mint with Cinnamon or Mate,
but I would question the sustainability of those desktops.

> When you install KDE, LXDE, XFCE desktops, they take on a kind of Unity
> cut-down format ..

I hear Debian is quite nice :)

> All this is a backwards step - offering less user-friendliness & more
> system-initiated control ( Ubuntu for dummies ? )

I use it on all my machines, I guess that makes me a dummy.

Cheers,
--
Alan Pope
Engineering Manager