Re: [Hampshire] Support for touchscreens

Author: Kevin Safford
To: Hampshire LUG
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Support for touchscreens
On 2012-06-21 14:26, Samuel Penn wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 12:51:08 +0100, James Courtier-Dutton
> <james.dutton@???> wrote:
> > I would not choose an iPAD or Android Pad because of the problem with
> > remove controlling them.
>
> The problem with a PC is where to put it. Often, a PC is located in a
> spare bedroom/study of a house - well away from where people 'live'.
> A tablet is easy to keep in the living room, where it can be easily
> accessed.
>
> For someone who isn't technically inclined, it requires a conscious
> decision to go to the PC, switch it on and use it.
>
> I got my mum a tablet for xmas, even though she was certain she
> wouldn't
> use it. Now, if I send her an email, or initiate a video chat, it's
> often sitting next to her in the living room so she hears it ringing
> and is far more likely to pick it up and respond. She uses it to browse
> the web or send emails a lot more than she did her PC or laptop,
> basically
> because she doesn't have to make that conscious effort to go upstairs
> to the PC first.
>
> If there's somewhere suitable to stick a PC where it will be seen and
> used, then it's not an issue. But if the PC is going to be hidden away
> in some obscure part of the house, then it may not work well as a means
> to involve the person socially, even if it's a better technical
> solution.

In my wanderings I came across the GUI DreamPlug
(https://www.newit.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=Dream_GUI&cat=16),
which comes in at around 370 GBP including a 10" USB touch monitor.

"...boot into Debian Squeeze with Gnome Desktop installed and ready to
connect your mimo monitor".

I could just leave it on, and VNC into it when required. I need to talk
to some people that are better informed about these things than I am,
but it looks promising.

Thanks to all who responded. If I go down this route, I'll post an
update - will take a week or two.
--
Kevin Safford