Re: [Hampshire] Support for touchscreens

Author: Kevin Safford
To: Hampshire LUG
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Support for touchscreens
On 2012-06-21 11:51, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> If you just get a normal flat display for a PC, you can get ones that
> have touchscreen on them.
> These then just have a usb cable to connect to the PC, that will make
> it look much like a mouse to Linux.
> So, when they tough the screen, it is like clicking the mouse on

something.

http://www.dabs.com/products/iiyama-17--t1731sr-b-dvi-vga-usb-touchscreen-monitor-with-speakers-6LZ2.html
> Although, you can probably find a cheaper one. I think you can even
> get overlays that you stick to a normal display that then give it
> touch sensitivity features.
>
> You could then VNC to the box, and do things like launch skype for
> them, and make calls for them, so all they have to do is do the
> talking, without having to touch anything.

Ah, that sounds interesting! Thanks, I'll take a look.

> I would not choose an iPAD or Android Pad because of the problem with
> remove controlling them.

I think you're right. A quick google shows various options for VNC-ing
from and Android device to a PC, but not the other way round.
--
Kevin Safford