Re: [Hampshire] Support for touchscreens

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Support for touchscreens
On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 12:51:08 +0100, James Courtier-Dutton
<james.dutton@???> wrote:
> I would not choose an iPAD or Android Pad because of the problem with
> remove controlling them.

The problem with a PC is where to put it. Often, a PC is located in a
spare bedroom/study of a house - well away from where people 'live'.
A tablet is easy to keep in the living room, where it can be easily
accessed.

For someone who isn't technically inclined, it requires a conscious
decision to go to the PC, switch it on and use it.

I got my mum a tablet for xmas, even though she was certain she
wouldn't
use it. Now, if I send her an email, or initiate a video chat, it's
often sitting next to her in the living room so she hears it ringing
and is far more likely to pick it up and respond. She uses it to browse
the web or send emails a lot more than she did her PC or laptop,
basically
because she doesn't have to make that conscious effort to go upstairs
to the PC first.

If there's somewhere suitable to stick a PC where it will be seen and
used, then it's not an issue. But if the PC is going to be hidden away
in some obscure part of the house, then it may not work well as a means
to involve the person socially, even if it's a better technical
solution.

Disadvantage of a tablet - they have to remember to make sure that it's
charged.

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.