Re: [Hampshire] Recommendation please - Big NAS

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Recommendation please - Big NAS
On 31.05.2012 13:30, Tony Whitmore wrote:
> On 31.05.2012 11:39, Rob Malpass wrote:
>> So I guess my question is - why not build a machine myself
>> instead of the microserver?   Quietness isn't much of an issue
>> because it'll be in a room separate to the TV.   Are there any other
>> considerations here?
>
> The following spring to mind:
> Power consumption (& therefore running cost)
> Physical space
> Availability of spares/replacements
> Expected lifespan of existing equipment

Another thing to add is heat production. One of the main reasons for
getting rid of all the old PCs I had accrued over the years was the
combined heat output making the room that they lived in rather
uncomfortable in the summer. I've had a single file/print/SSH server for
about 4 years now and it's much better in that regard than lots of
separate boxes.

Tony