Re: [Hampshire] Recommendation please - Big NAS

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Recommendation please - Big NAS

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56fe5100.hantslug.org.uk.11442': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu May 31 19:09:08 2012 BST
gpg: using RSA key CC7A505B5FBD5E30
On 31/05/12 11:39, Rob Malpass wrote:
> I'm looking for a NAS device / media server - need a recommendation
> please.

HP Microserver vote here. I have one with 8x2TB running btrfs and it's
great. Of course you can start small with the disk that comes with it
and a couple more sizable ones for your data.

> 1) Needs to be able to store 4TB+ of data so presumably need at
> least 2 drive bays.

The benefit of the HP microserver is expandability. I have 5 disks
internal to my microserver. The boot disk is in a caddy in the optical
bay, plus 4x2TB internal in the server and a further 4x2TB in an
external array attached to a mini PCIe eSATA card.

> 2) Needs to be on 24/7

Mine has been on 24x7 for some months now. Up until recently it was
sat on my desk about 1 foot from my ears, and with 8 drives it kinda
got annoyingly loud. So I've moved it 2 feet away and will probably
find somewhere else for it when I have time.

I've had the microserver for over a year now - nearly 18 months and
it's just spot on for these types of things. Mine is running Ubuntu
12.04 Server and does a few extra things other than just file serving.
It's not the most grunt-filled server in the world, but it works, and
it was cheap-ish.

Cheers,
- --
Alan Pope