Re: [Hampshire] Recommendation please - Big NAS

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Recommendation please - Big NAS
On 31.05.2012 15:37, Rob Malpass wrote:
> On a related note, one thing I want to do is have all these files in
> one
> folder - which is impossible as they need to span across two physical
> drives. So what I have at present is:
>
> Physical Drive a: 1973-2001
> Physical Drive b: 2002-2012
>
> Is there a way to see these as one folder 1973-2012? If so, how do I
> set
> this up?

Is there a reason they have to be two separate drive volumes? You could
use LVM to pool the capacity on the two physical drives and have all
your files 1973-2012 accessible through one point.

If there is a reason they have to be on two separate drive volumes,
then you could create symbolic links from one drive to another. If you
created symbolic links for 1972-2001 in the same location as 2002-2012,
for example, then you could access 1973-2012 from one place
transparently.

Tony