[Hampshire] USB Trackball not detected at power on

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] USB Trackball not detected at power on
Hi all,

I'm experiencing some weirdness with my Logitech USB trackball. I've had
it for a few years and it's worked fine. Recently, it's started not
being detected when I power on the machine. This isn't an X problem:
Nothing is shown in lsusb and nothing appears in dmesg.

If I unplug and re-plug the trackball, it works straight away. Both
Ubuntu 11.10 and Fedora 16 (Live CD) exhibit this behaviour. It is a
recent behaviour, nothing else has changed in the system.

The trackball is connected to the rear USB sockets of my PC. Other
devices plugged in to the rear USB sockets are not affected: USB sound
device, USB hard disks, USB graphics tablet.

I suspected a hardware fault, but have bought a new trackball and it
exhibits the same problem. There are two front USB sockets and they also
seem to exhibit the same behaviour, but less consistently.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tony