[Hampshire] Video editing recommendation please

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Video editing recommendation please
Hi all

With due respect to those that do it all the time and love it - I hate video
editing. What I need to do at the moment is take a 3 hour mpg file and
split it (manually is fine I'm not in need of a batch job) into 6 half hour
mpgs.

My only experience is Windows Movie Maker which has always crashed on me
with long mpgs. So I'm happy to try something Linux (Ubuntu probably but I
do have a Slackware box). Could someone please suggest something that
makes this simple job easy? I don't need anything more involved than
something which lets me move to say 29 minutes, watch from there, then split
when I click the mouse?

Most of my boxes have 2Gb - is that enough?

Cheers

Rob