Re: [Hampshire] Pointing device for arthritic hands

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Pointing device for arthritic hands
On 27 September 2011 08:44, Philip Stubbs <philip@???> wrote:
> Seems like I am going to be suffering with Arthritic hands from here
> on in. Yay! :-(
>
> The mouse is starting to cause me a problem. It is not holding the
> mouse, but straightening my hands after holding it, even after a
> relatively short period. Before things get too bad, I would like to
> try alternative pointing device.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions? A Logitech Marble seems like the
> sensible choice to try, but I am wondering if something like a
> Graphics Tablet would make a suitable alternative to a mouse?

I think using a "pen" device instead of a "mouse" should help.
Another thing to consider is learn all the keyboard shortcuts, thus
reducing the need for the mouse.
Another option is "voice control" but that tends to be slow, but
useful if all you wish to do is open a web browser or word processor
without having to move the mouse to the icon and click on it.
I think there are various options in X to remove the "double" click
and replace it with something else. Some people find the "double
click" a problem.

I have no idea if it will help or not, but I saw a "finger mouse" on
ebay. I bought it and I was surprised that it actually worked.
It essentually straps the mouse laser to a finger instead of actually
having a large mouse type object to hold.
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/6372231/USB-3D-Optical-Finger-Mouse/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cat:6372231|prd:6372231

I suppose the best option is to try each and maybe document your
findings on the wiki, so that other people can benefit.
I don't have Arthritic hands so my suggestions are only guesses.