Re: [Hampshire] Pointing device for arthritic hands

Author: Chris Liddell
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Pointing device for arthritic hands
On 27/09/11 09:45, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> On 27 September 2011 08:44, Philip Stubbs <philip@???> wrote:

<SNIP>
> I suppose the best option is to try each and maybe document your
> findings on the wiki, so that other people can benefit.
> I don't have Arthritic hands so my suggestions are only guesses.

I don't suffer from arthritic hands either, so no authority here either.

I use a mouse with the largest "foot print" I can find (current a
Logitech M705). I find being able to rest my palm on the body of the
mouse, whilst still having my fingers on the buttons makes for less
strain over extended use. It means that my wrist and hand are not
supporting the weight of the extended hand, because the mouse body bears
the weight.

I'd also look to other factors - a while back I spent several days
working at a disk which was about 2-2.5 inches higher than I normally
use, and it only took 15-20 minutes for my forearm, wrist and hand to
start to register the strain.

Another thing I found beneficial was switching to a wireless mouse:
being free to use the mouse in different locations on occasion is also
beneficial for me.

Personally, I find pens and pen-type pointing devices worse than a good
quality mouse for extended use. I also don't find benefit from wrist
supports - when positioned for useful support, they always seem to hit a
nerve in my wrist, and cause my hand to go numb! But those are my own
findings and I know plenty of other people who find the opposite.

I've reached the above observations of my own preferences after 20 years
of gradual experimentation, so I think the moral, if any, is: only you
can decide, through trial and error, what really works best for you.

Chris