Re: [Hampshire] Linux Foundation and Linux Certification Pro…

Author: Adam John Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux Foundation and Linux Certification Programs
On Saturday 23 Oct 2010 09:21:46 Peter Collins wrote:

> Is anyone a member of The Linux Foundation? does anyone have any
> opinions on it?
>
> Also I am thinking I might get myself a qualification, ultimately I
> would like to make myself more employable if I ever need to look for
> another job in a sysadmin based role.
>
> I have been looking at the "Linux Professional Institute Certification"
> program or maybe Ubuntu program - again I would be interested in
> people's thoughts on either?
>
> I know there are a few of you on this list that run or work at
> management level in Linux based networking/computer support companies,
> if someone applied for job with these either of certifications would it
> standout to you?

I have a few thoughts.

1) Doing a good training course and taking an exam can be a very good learning
experience. I did the Red Hat Certified Technician course and exam and found
that very helpful.

2) The LPI syllabus is a bit artificial but it's still probably worth going
through and it's worth learning most of it for an exam.

3) Certification is probably not that much value in the real world but it will
help open doors at larger organisations where pieces of paper can carry more
weight.

Cynically I think they are a good idea as certification may help you get past
clueless recruiters and managers, and in reality I think in this case the
syllabus is worth going over, however in the cold hard light of a serious
interview with someone who knows or in the event of a real world problem, you
would need to draw on more than just your LPI.

I would say that lots of certificates and exams are worthless, however they can
sometimes help to open doors and the LPI/RedHat ones are probably better than
most.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK