Re: [Hampshire] jaunty boot procedure

Author: Tim Retout
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] jaunty boot procedure
On Sun, 2010-02-21 at 11:00 +0000, Rob Malpass wrote:
> 1)    I’ve always mounted it as smbfs manually but the guide I found
> on google suggested using cifs

See the 'mount.cifs' man page: http://linux.die.net/man/8/mount.cifs
And 'smbmount' (mount.smbfs): http://linux.die.net/man/8/smbmount

It's true that the CIFS protocol supersedes SMB, and it's likely that
your NAS device supports this protocol.

Step one is to check that your /etc/fstab line is correct - try
'mount /path/to/mount/point' as root, and see if it works, or what the
error is. This command reads /etc/fstab, so obviously substitute for
the mount point you've put in that file.

This should answer whether you have a permissions problem.

Step two is to check whether it works during boot, and to make sure it
is marked to be mounted automatically (i.e. you haven't added the
'noauto' option).

Mount errors could appear in dmesg if the kernel drivers throw an error,
but I would expect to check /var/log/syslog as well.

--
Tim Retout <tim@???>