Re: [Hampshire] jaunty boot procedure

Author: Simon Reap
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] jaunty boot procedure
On 21/02/2010 11:00, Rob Malpass wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Need some advice about how to automatically mount a nas at bootup on
> jaunty. The googling I've done [1] suggests that the easiest way to
> do this is to edit /etc/fstab which I've done.
>
> However on reboot, I find that the directory is not mounted and I also
> find myself exposing another gap in my knowledge.

I have lines in /etc/fstab such as:

     //192.168.0.1/disk   /mnt/mynas   cifs
rw,username=me,password=secret,_netdev,uid=me,gid=me  1   3

where my userid is "me". This mounts the disk using my credentials
(username= and password= fields), treats the owner and group of any
files there as "me" (the gid= field), and only mounts the disk when the
network is running (the _netdev field). An alternative to having userid
and password here is to use a credentials file, e.g. replace
"username=me,password=secret" with "credentials=/etc/cred", and have a
file called /etc/cred, readable only by root, with (here)
username=me
password=secret
if you need a domain logon, set the username entry to
username=mydomain\me

Simon