[Hampshire] jaunty boot procedure

Author: Rob Malpass
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] jaunty boot procedure
Hi all

Need some advice about how to automatically mount a nas at bootup on jaunty.
The googling I've done [1] suggests that the easiest way to do this is to
edit /etc/fstab which I've done.

However on reboot, I find that the directory is not mounted and I also find
myself exposing another gap in my knowledge.

There's a log file somewhere which will tell me what happened isn't there?
If so, is it dmesg in /var/log? I've looked and find no references to the
ip address of the nas or the name of the "share".

Can anyone either help or point me toward an easy way to do this? Possible
reasons I can think of why it doesn't work are:

1)    I've always mounted it as smbfs manually but the guide I found on
google suggested using cifs

2)    Permissions.   AFAIK Ubuntu doesn't have a root user so I've just used
myself as the user who mounts the nas in fstab.   Not sure what else / who
else I could do here.   [1] doesn't mention I need to be added to a
particular group etc.

Cheers

Rob

[1] http://www.marcus-furius.com/?p=59