Re: [Hampshire] Fedora 10 upgrade woes

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Fedora 10 upgrade woes
Stephen Rowles wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just upgraded my Fedora 8 to Fedora 10 using the upgrade option from
> the DVD image.
>
> Now I imagine that Fedora 8 to 10 is not really the supported or intended
> upgrade path, but I was left with a system that would boot but I couldn't
> log in to X or even run yum or rpm to try and sort it out.
>
> The problem ended up being the nspr package which wasn't upgraded
> correctly, I needed to get 4 libraries off another linux machine via usb
> stick which then prodded it into life.
>
> However my system doesn't look or behave like the live CD version, I'm
> missing a bunch of tools and have old kde3 versions of things like the
> power management rather than the new shiny versions that I had when
> booting the live CD.
>
> I'm a bit disappointed by the whole thing tbh, I now have a major upgrade
> pain to go through and upgrade the remaining fedora 8 packages... tbh I'm
> thinking that I might just move everything I care about into my home
> partition and wipe the box and do an install from scratch... I did the
> upgrade as I thought it would be the easiest solution :(

The upgrade of Fedora really only works if you only have the standard
Fedora repositories. I knew upgrading from F9 would be problematic
therefore I removed my F9 drive and installed on another one. I then
copied across my /home directories and updated all the config files.
Painful process but it makes you backup your system and refreshes your
memory on configuration.

You don't really have any choice other than install from new and copy
your data back.

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk