[Hampshire] Fedora 10 upgrade woes

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Fedora 10 upgrade woes
Hi all,

I've just upgraded my Fedora 8 to Fedora 10 using the upgrade option from
the DVD image.

Now I imagine that Fedora 8 to 10 is not really the supported or intended
upgrade path, but I was left with a system that would boot but I couldn't
log in to X or even run yum or rpm to try and sort it out.

The problem ended up being the nspr package which wasn't upgraded
correctly, I needed to get 4 libraries off another linux machine via usb
stick which then prodded it into life.

However my system doesn't look or behave like the live CD version, I'm
missing a bunch of tools and have old kde3 versions of things like the
power management rather than the new shiny versions that I had when
booting the live CD.

I'm a bit disappointed by the whole thing tbh, I now have a major upgrade
pain to go through and upgrade the remaining fedora 8 packages... tbh I'm
thinking that I might just move everything I care about into my home
partition and wipe the box and do an install from scratch... I did the
upgrade as I thought it would be the easiest solution :(