Re: [Hampshire] Fedora 10 upgrade woes

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Fedora 10 upgrade woes
John Cooper wrote:

> The upgrade of Fedora really only works if you only have the standard
> Fedora repositories. I knew upgrading from F9 would be problematic
> therefore I removed my F9 drive and installed on another one. I then
> copied across my /home directories and updated all the config files.
> Painful process but it makes you backup your system and refreshes your
> memory on configuration.
>
> You don't really have any choice other than install from new and copy
> your data back.

I've never been brave enough to do an upgrade. I have a second drive for
each of my machines. When it comes to upgrade time I do the following:

    * Remove the current disc and put the spare in.
    * Boot the machine off a Linux boot CD and get a root command line.
    * Use fdisk to create a Windows partition with the same position and
      size on the spare (if I need it and it's not already there)
    * Connect the current drive I just took out to the machine with a
      USB adapter.
    * Copy the Windows partition over to the spare drive with dd.
    * Umount and unplug the original drive from the USB.
    * Reboot then do a clean Linux install on the remainder of the drive.

The thing I like about this method is that if the install messes up or I
need a functional machine before I've finished tinkering with the new
install I can just put the original disc back in, boot and I haven't
lost anything.

Cheers,
Paul.