Re: [Hampshire] I am a person not a PC...

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] I am a person not a PC...
2008/12/4 Sean Gibbins <sean@???>:

> That is odd because I thought you were licensing the set(s) at your
> address and and not the right to receive and watch broadcasts as such.

I believe it is the case that a licence is required if you have a
piece of equipment that is capable of receiving broadcast material.
If you have a TV screen that you use for watching pre-recorded
material but can demonstrate that it is does not have a functioning
tuner for off-air reception then you are OK. I do not know if the onus
is on *you* to show that your TV set *cannot* pick up live broadcasts
or on *"them"* to show that it *can* - i.e. whether you are innocent
until proven guilty or vice versa.
These days the requirement for a license extends to those who don't
use a conventional TV but instead use a laptop or 'media center' PC
with a TV tuner card. I think I've also heard rumours of the license
mandate being extended to the watchers of 'live' TV feeds over the
'net, but don't quite see how that would work.

Several years back I had a contract which involved me living in a
rented mobile home on farmland next to the customer's site Monday to
Friday. I got a wee 6" portable TV from Radio Shack, and was able to
use it without having to obtain a second license because (a) I had a
license at my home address and (b) the device was capable of operating
on batteries! If it had been a mains unit I would have had to buy a
second license ... go figure. But as soon as I was registered on the
electoral roll there I started receiving semi-threatening letters from
th licensing authorities.

> Me, I quite like the Beeb or various components thereof and don't mind
> shelling out for the service. It'd be a sad loss if we went fully
> commercial IMHO.

gosh yes.