Re: [Hampshire] PC turns itself off after a few minutes

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] PC turns itself off after a few minutes
> Also check the capacitors on the motherboard for the dreaded "capacitor
> failure"
>
> http://www.capacitorlab.com/visible-failures/
>
> http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195
>
> We've lost loads of machines at work because of this, both motherboard &
> PSU's have been affected :-(

Thanks all for your replies. I've sorted it out now with a few dabs of
Antec Silver Thermal Paste. I put a thin bead down on one side of the
CPU and spread it evenly using an old business card. A small dab was
also placed on the heatsink. Now if only this heatsink fan wasn't so
damn noisy...

All the capacitors look fine thank god. When capacitors have been a
problem in the past I have heard a high pitched whine once the PSU has
been energized.

Imran