Re: [Hampshire] PC turns itself off after a few minutes

Top Page
Author: Brad Rogers
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] PC turns itself off after a few minutes

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56fca100.hantslug.org.uk.30814': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Nov 22 17:17:19 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 94A792DF8B81EB69
On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 14:39:09 +0000
"Imran Chaudhry" <ichaudhry@???> wrote:

Hello Imran,

> The PC had a broken 360W PSU which I replaced with a 300W unit. Could
> the lower wattage be the cause of this?

Whilst it's unlikely that this is the cause of your CPU issues, it's
rarely a good idea to replace a PSU with one of a lower wattage, unless
the one being replaced was overrated (higher wattage than necessary).

Ideally, you need to know the wattage on each o/p from the PSU, since
the 360W is a combined figure, and if (say) the 5V rail is underrated
you can still run into stability issues.

There are sites that will guesstimate what your power requirements are
based on number of HDs, DVD/CD drives, RAM, etc. I haven't got any
bookmarked, but I'm sure your favourite search engine will throw up
suitable candidates.

--
 Regards  _

The stakes were high but the danger low