Re: [Hampshire] PC turns itself off after a few minutes

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] PC turns itself off after a few minutes
John Cooper wrote:
> As Vic says, it will be the processor over heating due to the heatsink
> being loose. The motherboard automatically shuts off to protect the
> processor. The metal link on mine came loose once causing this.

A mate's machine would do something similar - turned out to be the
bearings in the PSU fan were stuffed and the PSU was powering off to
prevent overheating. When the bearings eventually failed it wouldn't
even get past the POST; prior to that it would boot, run for a while and
then bail out. We replaced the PSU and all was well.

Since you are on a new PSU already it seems unlikely that this is the
case, but points to an overheating issue somewhere, so check the cpu
fan, the heatsink, seating, thermal paste etc. A good way to do this is
to follow Vic and John's advice and remove it, clean all of the
components, and then reseat it properly to your satisfaction. Good thing
about this course of action is that it is cheap - a bit of thermal goo
and 30 mins of your time!

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa