Re: [Hampshire] Decisions, decisions... KDE3, KDE4 or Gnome?

Author: pavithran
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Decisions, decisions... KDE3, KDE4 or Gnome?
On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Richard Danter <radanter@???>wrote:

> First impressions of
> KDE4 are not the best. It's kinda dark and dismal, maybe an influence
> from Vista. It also does not seem to be very stable, I had several
> crashes in one afternoon, don't think I had so many in the 6 months
> since 8.04. And I could not do simple things like resize Konsole. I
> guess KDE4 is still Beta quality at best.

The problem most people have while migrating from KDE3 to KDE4 is getting
used to plasma.
Have a look at http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/TheWaysOfThePlasma
and
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/FAQ

> I am almost tempted to go back to 8.04 and stick with KDE3, but that
> is not a good solution for the long term. Couple of years down the
> line I won't be getting any updates and who knows how many security
> fixes I will be missing. I could hold out on KDE3 until KDE4 matures,

It is mature now . KDE 4.1.1 in ubuntu is pretty stable.

> but I am not sure I like where KDE4 is headed. I don't have a problem
> with it trying to look like Windows Vista, but I am not sure all this
> active desktop stuff is really for me -- I tend to have most of my
> windows maximised most of the time (terminals being one exception).
> Finally I could switch to Gnome, and get used to it again. No problem
> there if I can find the right apps. Some of the Gnome apps I used
> years ago have gone and others have replaced them, not sure what are
> the best options any more.

These are some of the features KDE 4.1 had .
http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.1/
yes you may not like them ,KDE goal is to give you a powerful desktop to the
user . If you want simplicity please use gnome or xfce or fluxbox :P
And KDE team is *not* copying its ideas from vista . There are better
features in KDE4 than the one from M$

--
Regards,
pavithran sakamuri