Re: [Hampshire] Decisions, decisions... KDE3, KDE4 or Gnome?

Author: Daniel Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Decisions, decisions... KDE3, KDE4 or Gnome?
On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 12:47:20PM +0000, Richard Danter wrote:
> So, for the first time in several years, I have installed a Gnome desktop.

I lived with KDE 4.0 for a couple of months, but I did exactly the
same with 8.04.

> I have tried F-Spot and it looks OK. It seems to have pulled in all
> 4000+ photos but wants to show the thumbnails to all of them. Digikam
> only showed the thumbnails for the directory I was looking at. Anyone
> else use F-Spot, am I missing a trick?

I swear by Picasa. Both F-Spot and Digikam desperately want to be a
Picasa, but they simply don't come even close.

> I am almost tempted to go back to 8.04 and stick with KDE3, but that
> is not a good solution for the long term. Couple of years down the
> line I won't be getting any updates and who knows how many security
> fixes I will be missing. I could hold out on KDE3 until KDE4 matures,
> but I am not sure I like where KDE4 is headed. I don't have a problem
> with it trying to look like Windows Vista, but I am not sure all this
> active desktop stuff is really for me -- I tend to have most of my
> windows maximised most of the time (terminals being one exception).

KDE4 isn't as much about user experience as about architecture. Don't
worry about where it's heading for the moment. Just think of it as a
next-generation desktop project. Gnome has come to be far and away the
slickest and most unified current generation desktop imho. I wouldn't
want them to throw that away to try out new things, so KDE4 is doing
important work in paving the way, even for Gnome, to really compete with
other desktops, like Mac OS X and Vista, in the future.

Dan