Re: [Hampshire] Decisions, decisions... KDE3, KDE4 or Gnome?

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Decisions, decisions... KDE3, KDE4 or Gnome?
2008/11/11 Richard Danter <radanter@???>:
> I am almost tempted to go back to 8.04 and stick with KDE3, but that
> is not a good solution for the long term. Couple of years down the
> line I won't be getting any updates and who knows how many security
> fixes I will be missing.

None. 8.04 is an LTS (Long Term Support) release which means you get
bug fixes and security updates for _3_ years on the desktop. By then a
new LTS will be out (due 2010) and you could upgrade directly from
8.04 to that new LTS, skipping the releases between.

> So, what do you all think? What is the best way to go? If Gnome then
> what apps are the best in features and stability?

I use fspot for photo management under GNOME. If you want to slideshow
a set of photos you could tag them with some event name and then click
the event on the left to show only those pictures, then start the
slideshow. You can tag photos as they are imported too.

Cheers,
Al.